Oriental lamb, shallot & citrus kebabs with soy & honey dipping sauce - recipe
PUBLISHED: 10:56 08 March 2016 | UPDATED: 10:56 08 March 2016
This requires 8 large wooden kebab sticks soaked in hot water to prevent them from burning in the cooking process
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
• 450g leg of lamb cut into 3cm dice
• 24 medium shallots peeled
• 8 bayleaves
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
• 2 large oranges, rind grated and then juiced
• 1 lime, rind grated and then juiced
• 2tbsp sweet chilli sauce
• 2tbsp dark soy sauce
• 3tbsp hoisin sauce
• 1tbsp vegetable oil
• 1tbsp tomato ketchup
• 8 whole star anise
• 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed into a paste
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 red chilli diced finely without the seeds; handful of coriander finely chopped; 1 tbsp of runny honey; 1tbsp of dark soy sauce; 1tbsp of light soy sauce; dash of sesame seed oil; juice of two limes
• Mix together ingredients for the marinade, stirring well. Thread a bay leaf onto the first skewer and then alternate shallots and lamb onto the skewers. Lay kebabs in a shallow dish and then pour over the marinade and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours, if possible overnight, in a fridge.
• Heat a heavy based grill pan or a frying pan, drizzle with the oil, then place the kebabs in the pan and fry on medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes on each side, brushing with remaining marinade throughout the cooking process. Take care not to have the heat too high or you will burn the marinade.
• For the dipping sauce mix all the ingredients together.
• Serve with a green salad, basmati rice and little pots of the dipping sauce.
Tip: The lamb can be replaced with chicken beef or pork. For a vegetarian alternative you could use sweet potatoes, courgettes and peppers with the shallots.
For more recipes see www.ukshallot.com
• Lime zest beetroot, caerphilly & pecan salad - recipe - A recipe for a dish that is bound to be a talking point before it rapidly disappears!
• Organic smoked salmon with sweet and sour shallots, radishes and lemon scented olive oil - recipe - Fish such as salmon, mackerel and sardines is rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and a good source of lean protein. This tangy, quick and easy starter or light nibble will make sure you get the benefit.