Have a December tidy-up
PUBLISHED: 10:04 17 November 2008 | UPDATED: 15:35 20 February 2013
If you have not done it already, roll up your sleeves to start 2009 with a clean greenhouse, bright tools and your secateurs in good shape for a new season's pruning.
• The greenhouse can be a haven
for overwintering pests and
diseases so cover up any plants
and clean crevices and surfaces
with a dilute disinfectant.
• Low light levels can be a
problem in winter so clean the
glass well to remove algae and
remnants of summer shading.
• Tidy up plant debris, stems and fallen leaves and flowers
to reduce fungal diseases and pests. Dig up weeds.
• Clean and oil spades, trowels and forks.
• Sharpen secateurs. There are various tools available for this
job, including a specialist sharpener from Felco.
• Empty out old compost.
• Give the pots a good scrub
with a suitable detergent.
• Sterilize with disinfectant.
• Allow to dry before use.