Events and things to do in Berkshire - October 2015
PUBLISHED: 11:16 12 October 2015 | UPDATED: 15:26 12 October 2015
A selection of great performances, events and more things to do across Berkshire this month
Mind how you go
What’s going on in our heads? Comedians and thinkers bring new shows to Berkshire in October and a good place to start is with Ruby Wax. We all knew the funny side of the TV star and author, but this year the attention was on her receiving an OBE for services to mental health.
She’s been open about her own periods of clinical depression and as well as having a Masters Degree in mindfulness-based cognitive therapy from Oxford University, Ruby’s a prominent supporter of several mental health charities.
It’s hard to disagree when she says: “We are not equipped for this century, it’s too hard, too fast, and too full of fear; we just don’t have the bandwidth. Our brains can’t take so much information in a world where we’re bombarded by bad news and force-fed information.”
In her latest show, Sane New World - The Tour, she uses humour to help us understand why we sabotage our own sanity and provides a manual on how to survive the 21st century. Ruby’s show comes to Reading’s Hexagon on 28 October.
Comedian Sean Hughes reckons he’s spent years battling to stay sane and has come to the conclusion that the two sides of his brain are in constant conflict, with ‘mumbo jumbo’ often beating common sense. His Mumbo Jumbo tour comes to South Street Arts Centre, Reading, on 2 October and then Norden Farm Centre for the Arts in Maidenhead on 16 October.
And while we’re pondering cerebral matters, Robert Newman brings The Brain Show to Norden Farm on 29 October. After volunteering for a brain-imaging experiment, Rob emerged with more questions than answers. Can brain scans read our minds? Are we our brains? How can you map the mind? The evening includes a specially constructed MRI-hat that will record Robert’s real-time brain activity in the show.
TV traveller and adventurer Ben Fogle leaves everywhere from Antarctica to the Sahara behind for a visit to Reading’s Concert Hall on 8 October for his Call of the Wild show. Alongside an audio-visual presentation, Ben will recount how a ‘townie’ was drawn to harsh challenges in the planet’s wildernesses, www.readingarts.com.
Blowers and Backers are back with Rogues on the Road - a new show crammed full of wonderful reminiscences from careers spent broadcasting around the globe. Bastions of the beloved Test Match Special, Henry Blofeld and Peter Baxter certainly have some tales to tell. The fun, the games and outlandish characters spread well beyond the confines of any cricket ground or studio. See them at Norden Farm, Maidenhead, on 1 October (www.nordenfarm.org) or Newbury’s Corn Exchange (www.cornexchangenew.com) on 27 October.
Pick a great day out
October is a big month for two of our towns. Thatcham, celebrating 40 years of being a town in its own right, has its annual fortnight-long festival from 10 October featuring performances, fairs, a classic car show, and much more showcasing residents’ talents, www.thatchamfestival.info.
Meanwhile in Hungerford the focus is very tasty indeed, with the town’s food festival taking place on Sunday, 4 October. Enjoy expert demonstrations and delicious local treats inside the town hall and from High Street stalls, hungerfordfoodfestival.com.
Let’s get outdoors
• 10 October, Family Nut Hunt, Bomb Site Car Park, off Bury’s Bank Road, Bowdown Woods, tel: 01635 800886
• 11 October, Thatcham Festival Bird Walk, The Nature Discovery Centre, tel: 01635 874381
• 4 October, Runnymede Great British Walk: Autumn Stroll, Estate Office, North Lodge, Windsor Road, Old Windsor, tel: 01784 432891
• 14 October, Greenham Common Bird Walk, tel: 01635 874381
• 17 October, Linking the Landscape: Fungi Walk at Crookham, Car Park on Old Thornford Road, Crookham Common, tel: 01635 800886
• 17 October, Thatcham Festival Bird Walk, Nature Discovery Centre, tel: 01635 874381
• 18 October, Great British Walk: A Wild Walk, Runnymede Estate Office, North Lodge, Windsor Road, Old Windsor, tel: 01784 432891
• 2/9/16/23/30 October, Basildon Park – Nature Walks, Lower Basildon
• 25 October, Fascinating Fungi – Woodland Walk, Runnymede Estate Office, North Lodge, Windsor Road, Old Windsor, tel: 01784 432891
• 1 October, Talking Bats, Newbury Library, Wharf Road, Newbury, tel: 01635 519900
• 3 October, Reading Town Meal, Forbury Gardens
• 3 October, Panbourne Quality Market, Pangbourne Village Hall
• 4 October, Henley Ploughing Match, Bishopsland, Dunsden, tel: 01491 413619
• 4 October, Wedding Fair, Hilton, St. Anne’s Manor, Wokingham, tel: 01276 451498
• 4 October, Wedding Fair, Reading Town Hall, tel: 08001 777080
• 6 October, Stamp, Coin and Other Collectables Advisory Day, Chequers Hotel, Oxford Street, Newbury, tel: 01926 499031
• 6 October, An Audience with Sir Richard Shirreff, Watermill Theatre, Bagnor, 01635 46044
• 7 October, Fabulous Fungi, West Museum, Newbury, tel: 01635 519562
• 8 October, Arts & Crafts Market, Market Place, Wokingham
• 9 October, Ascot Fashion Weekend, The Pavilion, Ascot Racecourse, tel: 01367 860017
• 17 October, Real Vintage Market, The Hexagon, Reading, tel: 01189 606060
• 18 October, Wedding Fair, Hilton Reading, tel: 01276 451498
• 25 October, Wedding Fair, South Hill Park, Bracknell, tel: 01344 484123
• 25 October, Wedding Fair, Northcote House, Sunningdale Park, tel: 01276 451498
• 28 October, Family Activity Day, Shaw House, Newbury, tel: 01635 279279
South Street Arts Centre, South Street, Reading, tel: 01189 6060
2 October, Sean Hughes; 27-28 October, Theatre of Widdershins – Elves & The Shoemaker
The Hexagon, Queens Walk, tel: 01189 606060
7 October, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra & Tasmin Little; 10 October, The Astor Big Band presents The Glenn Miller Story; 20 October, Jimmy Carr; 26-27 October, Sherlock Holmes and the Ripper Murders; 28 October, Ruby Wax; 30 October, Round The Horne: 50th Anniversary; 31 October, Dave Gorman
Concert Hall, Town Hall, Blagrave Street, tel: 01189 606060
8 October Ben Fogle; 15 October, Organ Recital – Martin Baker; 23 October, Beardyman: One Album Per Hour; 31 October, Sir Willard White, Bass-Baritone
Shinfield Players Theatre, Whitley Wood Lane, tel: 01183 9758880
2-3 October, Murder Mystery Evening; 10 October, Grease Sing-A-Long
The Watermill Theatre, Bagnor, tel: 01635 46044
Until 31 October, The Ladykillers
Corn Exchange Newbury, tel: 0845 5218218
9 October, Barb Jungr, The Songs of Elvis; 7-10 October, Sunset Boulevard; 11 October, Bolshoi Encore: Giselle; 15 October, Jenny Eclair; 21 October, RSC Live: Henry V; 22 October, Sinatra Sequins & Swing; 24 October, Morgan & West’s Utterly Spiffing Spectacular Magic Show; 27 October, Blofeld & Baxter
Theatre Royal Windsor, Thames Street, tel: 01753 853888
2-3 October, The Marriage of Figaro; 6-10 October, Absent Friends; 11 October, The Johnny Cash Roadshow; 12-14 October, Round The Horne – 50th Anniversary; 15-18 October, Dinosaur Zoo; 19-24 October, Portrait of Murder; 25 October, Marty Wilde; 27-31 October, SWMTC: Oliver!
Norden Farm Centre for the Arts, Altwood Road, tel: 01183 788660
1-3 October, ‘Allo! ‘Allo!; 1 October, Blofeld & Baxter; 7 October, ROH Live: Le nozze di Figaro; 7 October, Ed Byrne; 8 October, Andy Hamilton; 13 October, Macbeth; 16 October, Sean Hughes; 21 October, Nancy Kerr with James Fagan; 21/27 October, RSC Live: Henry V; 29 October, Robert Newman; 30 October, Morgan and West – Parlour Tricks; 31 October, St John’s Chamber Orchestra
South Hill Park, Ringmead, tel: 01344 484123
7-10 October, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat; 11 October, Ballet Cymru – Cinderella; 13-14 October, Absent Friends; 21-25 October, Fawlty Towers 2; 29-31 October, The Borrowers
The Mill at Sonning, Sonning Eye, tel: 01189 698000
1 October – 21 November, Round & Round the Garden