Events and things to do in Buckinghamshire - August 2016
PUBLISHED: 16:48 26 July 2016 | UPDATED: 09:52 27 July 2016
STRICTLY EMBARGOED UNTIL 00.01AM ON MONDAY 18TH APRIL. Please credit: www.samholdenagency.com when used.
Find your perfect August day out across Buckinghamshire and at favourite destinations
Join BBC Countryfile (just across the border)
From 4 to 7 August, BBC Countryfile Live, will be staged within the spectacular grounds of Oxfordshire’s Blenheim Palace, showcasing the very best of our British countryside.
This exciting new event brings Countryfile, the BBC’s flagship factual TV programme, to the live arena, allowing you to explore every aspect of our countryside over four extraordinary days.
Join the Countryfile presenters in the heart of the event, a spectacular live show in the Countryfile Live Main Arena. Throughout the day, each show will be a celebration of the very best that rural Britain has to offer, focusing on Britain’s love of farming.
Adam Henson will be bringing his farm with livestock and rare breeds to the show, see the latest farming machinery displays, outdoor fun for kids, the best of British food and drink plus, over 600 exhibitors will be offering an unbeatable shopping experience: from food and craft heroes to country clothing, gardening, pet supplies and gifts.
Get stuck in with all the action from the countryside with walk & rambling, a 4x4 off road experience, angling and fly fishing, canoeing & kayaking, and the STIHL Timbersports British championships.
Family fun with the National Trust includes ‘50 things to do’, woodland activities, den building, face painting, picnic tree parties and even a Great British Ice Cream Parlour.
With on-site camping available, Countryfile lovers can even make a weekend out of what will be one of the biggest, and most exciting, outdoor events this year and an experience that the whole family can enjoy.
Adult tickets £24 plus booking fees. Family, concession and group rates available. Dogs welcome. Show information and tickets are available from countryfilelive.com
Laugh your pants off
The zany tale based on the best-selling children’s book, Aliens Love Underpants, comes to Aylesbury Waterside Theatre on 6 and 7 August (two shows each day). Join Cryl, Timmy and the rest for hilarious fun.
Summer Garden Tour and Lunch - Friday 5 August
Richard Jones holds a guided tour across Hartwell’s grounds to view the many plants, shrubs and trees in bloom. From £30.00 per person.
Enjoy some art
West Wycombe Art Group’s summer exhibition takes place over the August Bank Holiday Weekend – August 26 to 29 – at the village hall in this pretty village, well worth a day out.
Every year the show has a featured artist, 2016 sees the turn of Helen Willson. All the group’s artists display at least one panel of pictures and all are for sale, plus greeting cards, unframed works and sculpture. There is a private view on the Friday evening, otherwise opening is 10 to 6pm.
Follow the Fairies & Elves Trail through Black Park to find all of the magical little creatures hiding in the woods between 1 and 5 August, 10am-3pm. There’s a quiz sheet for a sweet treat at the end. Pick them up from the Black Park Visitor Information Point, £3 per trail guide. For those who prefer the moves, there’s a chance to find out about some of the films, TV shows, adverts and music videos that have been shot in Black Park on a fascinating self-led film trail. This runs from 15 to 19 August, and also costs £3 per trail guide.
Summer fun with the young
The Tribal Hearts Festival at Green Park, Aston Clinton, from 12 to 14 August combines lives music, food and camping with the big emphasis on family fun as it’s specifically for parents and children.
Organiser Vanessa Howe says the emphasis will be on creativity, play and nature as children are immersed in opportunities to explore and learn alongside the music. Performers on stage include Oxfordshire’s Ghosts in the Photographs, acoustic singer-songwriter Hollie Thubron from the Chilterns, Chesham band LUX and Jack Pout, a BBC Folk award nominated singer/songwriter. See www.tribalheartsfestival.co.uk.
National Trust properties including Waddesdon and Hughenden have a host of summer holiday activities, and there’s a lot going on at family favourites such as The Roald Dahl Musuem in Great Missenden and the Chiltern Open Air Museum.
Our picks from around the county
• Until 3 September, Children’s Activities, Buckingham Old Gaol, Buckingham, tel: 01280 823020
• Until 4 September, The Beach is Back, Frosts Garden Centre, Newport Road, Woburn Sands, tel: 08009 549484
• 3 August, Be Inspired Play Day, King George V Playing Fields, Amersham, tel: 01494 732020
• 3 August, Wild Wednesday – Neverland Adventure, Cliveden, tel: 01628 605069
• 3 August, Playday, Campbell Park, Milton Keynes, tel: 01908 233600
• 5 August, Mammal Detectives and Orienteering Day, Oakfield Park, Aylesbury, tel: 01296 585195
• 24 August, Bugs and Beasts, Black Park Country Park, Black Park Road, Wexham, tel: 01753 511060
• 26 August, Family Bat Walk, St Lawrence Church, Broughton, tel: 07966 341674
• 31 August, Damsels and Dragons/Creatures of the Deep, Bedgrove Park, Ambleside, Aylesbury, tel: 01296 585195
• Until 24 September, The Art of Islam, Buckinghamshire County Museum, Church Street, Aylesbury, tel: 01296 331441
• 2 July – 7 January 2017, Roald Dahl’s Bucks, Buckinghamshire County Museum, Church Street, Aylesbury, tel: 01296 331441
• Until 11 August, Bob Williams, Queens Park Arts Centre and Limelight Theatre, Queens Park, Aylesbury tel: 01296 424332
• 3-29 August, Three Artists at the Pavilion, Chenies Manor Pavilion, Chenies, tel: 02084 276597
• Until 6 August, Kate Malone: Inspired by Waddesdon; until 31 August, Waddesdon Manor, tel: 01296 653226
• The Riches of the Earth, Exhibition and Trail throughout the house, Waddesdon Manor, tel: 01296 653226
For the grown ups
For a luxury day out, why not float down the Thames aboard a lovingly restored 100 year old wooden river boat, enjoying the delights of Cliveden’s famous Afternoon Tea or picnic lunch?
The gentle pace of lazy days on the river combined with first class cuisine and fine wines creates a quintessentially English experience that will be remembered with pleasure for years to come. Ten guests can be comfortably accommodated on-board a private cruise. Shared cruises run every evening and Champagne cruises allow you to sail along the Cliveden Reach for 45 minutes, enjoying stunning scenery. Call 01628 668561.
• 2, 9 and 23 August, Croquet on the lawn, Hughenden, tel: 01494 755573
• 4 August, Early Doors House Tour, Waddesdon Manor, tel: 01296 653226
• 5 August, Behind the Scenes Tour, Waddesdon Manor, tel: 01296 653226
• 6 August, Monks Risborough Horticultural Society Show, Rangers Football Ground, Bottom of Peter’s Lane, Monks Risborough
• 10 August, Classic Car Show, The Memorial Centre, Gerrards Cross, tel: 07715 561604
• 25 August, Behind the Scenes Tour, Hughenden, tel: 01494 755573
• 27-29 August, Vintage Steam Cruises, Bourne End Marina, Wharf Lane, Bourne End, tel: 07774 925323
• 28-29 August, The Cliveden Set, Cliveden, Taplow, tel: 01628 605069
• 29 August, Beaconsfield Country Fayre, Windsor End, Beaconsfield, www.beaconsfieldcountryfayre.org
Aylesbury Waterside Theatre, Exchange Street, tel: 08448 717627
5 August, Comedy Club; 6-7 August, Aliens Love Underpants
Vale Park, Aylesbury, tel: 01296 425678
27 August, Live in the Park; 28 August, Proms in the Park
Wycombe Swan Theatre & Town Hall, St Mary Street, tel: 01494 512000
5-7 August, Doctor Dolittle 2016
West Wycombe Park, Village and Hill, West Wycombe, tel: 08442 491895
20 August, Much Ado About Nothing; 21 August, Musical Sundays
Milton Keynes Theatre, Marlborough Gate, tel: 08448 717652
5-6 August, Stage Experience – Fame; 25 August, The Dreamboys; 26 August, That’ll Be the Day; 27 August, The Simon and Garfunkel Story; 30 August – 3 September, Sunny Afternoon
The Stables, Stockwell Lane, Wavendon, Milton Keynes, tel: 01908 280800
19 August, Songs of Stage & Screen with Blake; 19 August, Guy Davis; 20 August, Never The Bride; 21 August, Sara Beth & Glen Mitchell; 25-27 August, Dinosaur Zoo; 25 August, Chris Farlowe & The Norman Beaker Band; 26 August, The Style Councillors; 27 August, Hats Off to Led Zeppelin
Campbell Park, Avebury Blvd, Milton Keynes, tel: 01908 233600
19 August, Proms in Campbell Park
Langley Park Country Park, Billet Lane, Iver, tel: 01753 511060
7 August, The Wizard of Oz
Cliveden, tel: 01628 605069
25-26 August, Children’s Outdoor Theatre – Danny Champion of the World; 27 August, Outdoor Theatre – A Midsummer Night’s Dream