Events and things to do in Buckinghamshire - June 2017
PUBLISHED: 16:06 01 June 2017 | UPDATED: 16:06 01 June 2017
Embroiderers’ Guild & HBO Television
What a feast of entertainment we have across Buckinghamshire in June: take your pick from fantastic theatre and opera to gardens to visit
Museum’s fascinating sights
There’s always something to see in Bucks County Museum at Aylesbury, but two events at the moment really catch the eye – and they are very different.
Game of Thrones: The Hardhome Embroidery runs until 17 June and provides probably the last chance in the UK to see this stunning large scale embroidery.
Three metres high and five metres long, it features a White Walker in one of the most intense battle scenes in TV history, the massacre of Hardhome. Following the success of the Magna Carta embroidery and the Embroiderers’ Guild’s role in its production, the UK representatives of the HBO Home Entertainment TV Network contacted the Guild with the view to creating a special artwork in stitch to form the backdrop to mark the release of the ‘Game of Thrones’ Series 5 DVD & Blue Ray boxed set.
The piece took about 5,000 hours to produce and involved a total of 140 volunteers. The exhibition is accompanied by a display of beautifully painted miniature fantasy figures and vintage comics.
Meanwhile, for the unique
HS2//INTERVENTION, award-winning photographer Mark King used unique laser photography to document the HS2 route through our countryside. This exhibition runs until 8 July and shows how the landscape could be irrevocably transformed. Two green lasers replicating the concept of train tracks, were projected along the plotted path.
Entry is free to these two exhibitions at the museum in Church Street, Aylesbury, HP20 2QP. For information and opening times call 01296 331441 or visit buckscountymuseum.org.
The pop-up Chilterns Vintage Cinema moves on from the Hell-Fire Caves at West Wycombe to Kings Chapel at The Kings Arms in Old Amersham, where Notting Hill will be screened on 29 May and then La La Land the following day, with a bistro supper.
The first three days in June see screenings of classics including ET: The Extra Terrestrial and Dirty Dancing at The Natural History Museum, Tring. See vintagecinema.co.uk to book.
Garsington Opera’s main season at Womsley is expanding, and will see the start of a partnership with the Philharmonia Orchestra. In addition, next year there will be a large scale, newly commissioned community opera involving 180 local people of all ages alongside professional singers and the Garsington Opera Orchestra.
A new production of Handel’s Semele, sung in English, will be performed on six June dates and 4 July. Mozart’s Le Nozze di Figaro, in Italian, also
comes to Wormsley and will feature on 11 dates across both months, and five June days, plus 1 and 7 July will see a new production of Debussy’s Pelléas et Mélisande.
Rossini’s Il Turco in Italia features on eight days, while a new commission, Silver Birch by Roxanna Panufnik is on 28, 29 and 30 July.
See garsingtonopera.org, box office 01865 361636.
Open gardens for NGS
• Until 31 July, Magnolia House, Grange Drive, Wooburn, HP10 0QD, booking 01628 525818/ 077836 244855
• 3 June, Loosley Dene, Princes Risborough, HP27 0PE
• 4 June, Long Crendon Gardens, Long Crendon, HP18m 9AN; Abbots House, Winslow, MK18 3AN, tel: 01296 712326
• 10-11 June, Cowper & Newton Museum Gardens, Olney, MK46 4AJ, tel: 01234 711516; 18 Brownswood Road, Beaconsfield, HP9 2NU
• 11 June, Overstroud Cottage, Gt Missenden, HP16 9QE, tel: 01494 862701; Tythrop Park, Kingsey, HP17 8LT
• 17-18 June, Turn End Trust, Turn End, Townside, Haddenham, Aylesbury, HP17 8BG
• 18 June, Orchard House, Amersham, HP7 0LB, tel: 01494 432278; Hillesden House, Hillesden, MK184DB, tel: 01296 730451
• 23 June, Lords Wood, Marlow Common, SL7 2QS
• 23-24 June, Acer Corner, Wendover, HP22 6HQ, tel: 07958 319234
• 24-25 June, 11 The Paddocks, Wendover, HP22 6HE, tel: 01296 623870
• 25 June, Wittington Estate, Marlow, SL7 5EB; Bradenham Manor, High Wycombe, HP14 4HF; Dinton Village Gardens, Dinton, HP17 8UN; 126 Church Green Road, Milton Keynes, MK3 6DD; Glebe Farm, Buckingham, MK18 5BB, tel: 01280 860384; Banks Park, Haddenham, HP17 8EE, tel: 01844 291785;
From top to bottom, the county has a lot to offer this month. We start beside the water as Marlow Town Regatta runs over the weekend of 10 and l1 June, while Milton Keynes Dragon Boat Festival is on 25 June.
• 3 June, Turn End Tour, Turn End, Townside, Haddenham, Aylesbury, www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/turn-end-trust-12383831229
• 3 June, The Buckingham Country Show, Home Farm, Foscote, Nr Buckingham, buckinghamcountryshow.com
• 3-4 June, Steampunk Weekend, Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, Station Road, Quainton, tel: 01933 225674
• 4 June, The Great British Dog Walk, Stowe, New Inn Farm, Buckingham, tel: 01844 348100
• 7 June, Tour with Hughenden’s Gardener, tel: 01494 755573
• 10-11 June, MK Handmade and Vintage Weekend Extravaganza, in front of John Lewis, The Centre: MK
• 10-11 June, Marlow Town Rowing Regatta, Higginson Park, Pound Lane, Marlow
• 11 June, Antiques Fair, Gerrards Cross Memorial Centre, East Common, tel: 01753 883759
• 11 June, Village Fete, The Old Rectory, Brill Road, Ludgershall, Aylesbury, HP18 9PG
• 11 June, Race for Life 5/10K, Campbell Park, Milton Keynes, raceforlife.cancerresearchuk.org
• 21 June, Midsummer Night’s Tour, Turn End, Townside, Haddenham, Aylesbury
• 25 June, Milton Keynes Dragon Boat Festival, Willen Lake, V10, tel: 01780 470718
Waterside Theatre, tel: 08448 717627
6 June, Russell Brand; 8 June, Glyndebourne Season: La Traviata Encore Screening; 9-10 June, Northern Ballet: The Boy in Striped Pyjamas; 10 June, Northern Ballet: Goldilocks & The Three Bears; 10 June, NT Live Screening – Peter Pan; 20 June, Brian Poole and The Tremeloes; 22 June, NT Live Screening – Salome; 24 June, That’ll Be the Day; 25 June, Kandeez Dance presents – Blank Canvas; 28 June, ROH – Otello Live Screening; 28 June, The Big Chris Barber Band
Queens Park Arts Centre and Limelight Theatre, tel: 01296 424332
10 June, Wild Willy Barrett’s French Connection; 30 June – 1 July, A Number & Far Away
Wycombe Swan & Town Hall, tel: 01494 512000
4 June, RPO Last Night of the Proms; 6-10 June, Fantastic Mr Fox; 13-17 June, The Red Shoes; 21 June, Russell Brand; 22 June, The Kilkennys; 24 June, Stagecoach; 25 June, Louise Austin School of Dance; 28 June, Bobby Davro; 29 June, The Simon and Garfunkel Story
Milton Keynes Theatre, tel: 08448 717652
Until 17 June, Billy Elliot; 29 June, The Carpenters Story
The Stables, Wavendon, tel: 01908 280800
2 June, Brian Poole & The Tremeloes; 6 June, Anne Reid; 9 June, Showaddywaddy; 14 June, Sidewinder; 15 June, The Searchers; 18 June, BBC Big Band featuring Claire Martin; 22 June, Marty Wilde & The Wildcats