Events and things to do in Buckinghamshire - November 2015
PUBLISHED: 11:33 02 November 2015 | UPDATED: 16:03 02 November 2015
Head for the bright lights as Buckinghamshire sparkles in November
Month of delights at Milton Keynes
There’s something for everyone in November, and it all starts with The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, winner of a trophy cabinet full of theatre awards, from 2 to 7 November. This stunning National Theatre production is based on the award-winning novel by Mark Haddon and adapted for stage by Simon Stephens. Christopher, 15, has an extraordinary brain - exceptional at maths while ill-equipped to interpret everyday life. When he falls under suspicion of killing Mrs Shears’s dog, it takes him on a journey that upturns his world.
Prepare for a nostalgia-fest on 8 November when legendary That’ll Be The Day returns with a 30th Anniversary Special packed with hits from the 50s, 60s and 70s and providing lots of laughter in between.
There’s a change of mood from 10 to 14 November, courtesy of the Glyndebourne Tour. Milton Keynes is among the select venues hosting the touring productions, which this year includes Don Pasquale, by Donizetti, a comedy about an older man flattered into seeking a younger wife.
Die Entführung aus dem Serail (The Abduction from the Seraglio) is Mozart’s take on the glittering Orient – a tale of abduction, escape and forgiveness. David McVicar’s production transfers directly from the 2015 Glyndebourne Festival. Handel’s Saul which has also transferred directly, is a compelling psychological drama with a musical score of heart-breaking beauty and intensity.
There’s a switch of gear again on 15 November, this time courtesy of Rumours of Fleetwood Mac, replicating the legendary group’s classic hits including Black Magic Woman, Albatross, Go You Own Way and many more.
The Shawshank Redemption, regularly voted the nation’s number one movie of all time, arrives from 16 to 21 November. Stephen King’s story takes to the stage in a new production by Bill Kenwright which examines desperation, injustice, friendship and hope behind the claustrophobic bars of a maximum security penitentiary.
Then it’s the turn of Strictly superstars Vincent Simone and Flavia Cacace from 23 to 28 November with their The Last Tango, a moving production as they prepare to dance in a thrilling new live performance billed as their final ever theatre tour. Has the time really come for the nation’s best loved Argentine Tango Champions to say goodbye to the stage?
Online booking: www.atgtickets.com/miltonkeynes (bkg fee).
Thea Gilmour back in Wycombe
With her 15th album, Ghosts And Graffiti, released in the summer, Thea Gilmour returns to High Wycombe Town Hall on 24 November. You can also expect to hear old favourites such as ‘London Town’ and many others from her extensive back catalogue. The latest album is extraordinary, as she revisits some old material in collaboration with Joan Baez, Billy Bragg, The Waterboys, Joan As Policewoman, John Cooper Clarke, King Creosote and I Am Kloot. Book at wycombeswan.co.uk.
• Until 19 December, Beaconsfield Charity Christmas Card Shop, St Teresa’s Church Car Park, (Behind Waitrose)
• 2/9/16/23 November, Exclusive Cliveden House Tour & National Trust Lunch, Cliveden, Taplow, Maidenhead, tel: 01628 605069
• Until 15 November, Winter Talks, Amersham Museum, High Street, Amersham, tel: 01494 723700
• 4/11/18/25 November, Behind the Scenes Tours, Claydon, Middle Claydon, tel: 01296 730349
• 4-6 November, Christmas Cookery School, Waddesdon, tel: 01296 653226
• 4 November, Scannapeal Ladies Shopping & Fashion Evening with M&S, Wycombe Swan Old Town Hall and Oak Room, tel: 01494 722752
• 5 November, The Tythe Barn at Christmas 2015, Manor Farm, Church End, Haddenham, tel: 01844 291063
• 7 November, Amersham Concert Club, Dr Challoner’s High School, Cokes Lane, Little Chalfont, Amersham, tel: 01494 765420
• 8 November, Chilterns American Women’s Club 2015 Christmas Bazaar, Crowne Plaza, Gerrards Cross
• 11 November, Hi-de-Hi!, The Elgiva, Chesham, tel: 01494 582900
• 14 November, Artists and Makers Fair, Great Missenden Memorial Centre, Link Road, tel: 01844 273069
• 15 November, Wedding Fair, Burnham Beeches Hotel, tel: 01628 429955
• 18 November – 6 December, Christmas Fair, Waddesdon Manor, tel: 01296 653226
• 21 November, Misbourne Christmas Craft Fair, Great Missenden Memorial Hall, tel: 07816 605410
• 21 November, Artists and Makers Fair, Wendover Memorial Hall, tel: 01844 273069
• 25 November, Christmas Wreath Making, Hughenden, tel: 01494 755573
• 28 November, Amersham Concert Club, Dr Challoner’s High School, tel: 01494 765420
• 28 November – 19 December, Carols at Stowe, New Inn Farm, Buckingham, tel: 01280 817156
• 28 November, Misbourne Symphony Orchestra Concert, The Amersham School, Amersham, tel: 01494 784479
• 28 November, Christmas Light Switch on, Buckingham Town Centre, tel: 01280 816426
Aylesbury Waterside Theatre, Exchange Street, tel: 08448 717627
9 November, Ruby Wax; 10 November, Nils Lofgren; 12 November, Noel Fielding; 14 November, That’ll Be the Day Christmas Show, 15 November, Sing-a-long-Frozen; 17 November, Circus of Horrors; 18 November, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra; 19 November, NT: Of Mice and Men Live Screening; 19 November, ABBA Mania; 20 November, Westcoast – Music of The Beach Boys; 21 November, Mercury: The Ultimate Queen Tribute; 23-28 November, The Full Monty; 29 November, Grimethorpe Colliery Band; 30 November, Saint Petersburg Ballet presents Giselle
Wycombe Swan Theatre & Town Hall, St Mary Street, tel: 01494 512000
6-7 November, Giselle by Royal New Zealand Ballet; 8 November, Dawn French; 9 November, Russell Watson; 14-15 November, Peppa Pig’s Surprise; 17-21 November, Lord of The Flies; 21 November, The Neverland Ball; 24 November, Thea Gilmore; 27 November, Bubbles & Buble; 27 November, Joe Brown in Concert
Milton Keynes Theatre, Marlborough Gate, tel: 08448 717652
2-7 November, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time; 8 November, That’ll Be the Day; 10/12 November, Glyndebourne – Don Pasquale; 11/14 November, Glyndebourne – Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail; 13 November, Glyndebourne – Saul; 15 November, Rumours of Fleetwood Mac; 16-21 November, The Shawshank Redemption; 22 November, Vaughan Williams and Elgar; 23-28 November, The Last Tango
The Stables, Stockwell Lane, Wavendon, tel: 01908 280800
5 November, Sarah Millican; 8 November, The Phantom of the Opera with live score by Minima; 17 November, Jo Brand; 21 November, Sandi Thom; 24 November, Steeleye Span; 28 November, Elkie Brooks; 29 November, The Barron Knights; 30 November, A Christmas Carol