Events and things to do in Buckinghamshire - October 2015
PUBLISHED: 13:49 02 October 2015 | UPDATED: 13:49 02 October 2015
A selection of great performances, events and more things to do across Buckinghamshire this month
Blowers and Backers are back with Rogues on the Road - a new show crammed full of wonderful reminiscences from careers spent broadcasting around the globe. Bastions of the beloved Test Match Special, Henry Blofeld and Peter Baxter certainly have some tales to tell. The fun, the games and outlandish characters – from Ian Fleming to Noel Coward – spread well beyond the confines of any cricket ground or studio.
Catch them at the Old Town Hall, High Wycombe, on 16 October, tel: 01494 512000 see wycombeswan.co.uk.
Palin at Aylesbury
Michael Palin’s The Thirty Years Tour comes to The Waterside Theatre on 9 October and features rare archive film, video, photos and recordings as he looks back over three decades of his diaries.
Jenny reveals (nearly) everything
Now this takes some courage… it’s comedian Jenny Éclair who’s bringing her How to be a Middle Aged Woman (without going insane) show to the Stables, Wavendon on 1 October.
Little Missenden Festival
Those in the know always look forward to this celebration of music and the arts, indeed composer David Matthews has described it as ‘England’s best-kept secret festival’.
This year it runs from 2 to 11 October, with a programme covering a wide spectrum, musically from baroque to jazz, with poetry, lectures and children’s events. Many take place in the wonderful setting of St John the Baptist Church, much of which dates back to Saxon and Norman times and containing some fine wall paintings, including a rather magnificent St Christopher.
The festival opens with pianists Katya Apekisheva and Charles Owen, returning after three years to perform work by Stravinsky, Brahms, Rachmaninov and Lutoslawski. Another highlight is bound to be the talk by novelist, actor and screenwriter David Nicholls (author of best-seller One Day). See the full programme and ticket details at www.little-missenden.org, tel: 01494 958148.
Theatre in the villages
From physical comedy to family friendly magic, classic musical songs and drama, this year’s Theatre in the Villages has something to appeal to all tastes and ages. The theatrical extravaganza kicks off on September 26 with Those Magnificent Men - detailing the exploits of British pioneering aviators - and takes in village hall venues the length and breadth of the county.
So whether you’re interested in stories from the sub continent or the Oscar winning legend Bette Davis you’re in for a treat. Tickets start at just £10 and performances continue until December. See www.aylesburyvaledc.gov.uk.
Hyde End Autumn Craft Show
Some of our best British designers and makers will display and sell their wares at this year’s show, which runs from 2 to 4 October. Whether you fancy some early Christmas shopping or are hunting down unique items for yourself, this is a great place to find jewellery, ceramics, modern and classical art, metalwork, bespoke furniture, ladies and gents fashion, home furnishings and fusion glass blowing.
There’s live musical entertainment alongside a bistro-style restaurant offering healthy, wholesome home–made fresh snacks. Adults £5, concessions £4, children £1 (the event makes a donation to the RNLI). See www.acfcraftfairs.com.
• Until 15 November, Winter Talks, Amersham Museum, tel: 01494 7223700
• 1/4//8/11/15/18/22/25 October, Guided House Tours; Cliveden, tel: 01628 506069
• 3 October, Vale Harvest Local Food Market, Haddenham Village Hall, www.valeharvest.weebly.com
• 3 October, Those Magnificent Men, The Kimble Stewart Hall, Little Kimble, tel: 01296 630902
• 3-4/10-11/17-18 October, Family activity: Autumn Leaf Crowns, Stowe, New Inn Farm, Buckingham, tel: 01280 817156
• 4/11 October, Steaming Day, Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, Quainton, tel: 01296 655450
• 4/18 October, Guided Walks, Cliveden, tel: 01628 605069
• 4 October, Wedding Fair, Bisham Abbey
• 4/11/18 October, Afternoon Tea with Live Music, Waddesdon Manor, tel: 01296 653226
• 5 October, Boutique Cinema, Clayton’s Marlow, Oxford Road, tel: 01628 488404
• 6/13/20/27 October, Garden Tours, Cliveden, tel: 01628 605069
• 7/24 October, Man and Matter Art Walks, Hughenden, tel: 01494 755573
• 10 October, Introduction to Rothschild Wine, Waddesdon Manor, tel: 01296 653226
• 10-11 October, Apple Days, Cliveden, tel: 01628 60509
• 11 October, Wedding Fair, Wycombe Swan Town Hall, email@example.com
• 11 October, Cheese and Wine Tasting with Fine Cheese Co, Waddesdon Manor, tel: 01296 653226
• 11/25 October, The Cliveden Set Live – Step Back in Time, Cliveden, tel: 01628 605069
• 16 October, Cheddington Food and Drink Fayre, Cheddington Village Hall
• 16 October, Game Dinner at The Five Arrows, Waddesdon, tel: 01296 651727
• 17 October, Community MusicFest, The Elgiva Theatre, Chesham, tel: 01494 582900
• 17 October, Open Day, Priestfield Arboretum, Stony Lane, Little Kingshill
• 17 October, Apple Day, Home Cottage Farm, Bangors Road South, Iver Heath
• 17-18 October, Meet the Hughenden Beekeepers, Hughenden
• 17-18 October, Harvest Festival, Chiltern Open Air Musuem, Chalfont St Giles, tel: 01494 871117
• 18 October, Diesel Day, Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, Quainton, tel: 01296 6554530
• 24 October, Wooburn Singers, All Saints’ Church, Marlow, tel: 01628 672457
• 24 October, BBOWT Plant and Produce Market, Great Missenden Memorial Centre, tel: 01296 624511
• 24 October, Flanders and Swann Revisited, Akeley Village Hall, tel: 01280 860313
• 25 October, Dakini Craft Market, Wendover Woods, Nr Café in the Woods, tel: 07854 815291
• 30 October, Halloween Spectacular, Chiltern Open Air Museum, Chalfont St Giles, tel: 01494 871117
Aylesbury Waterside Theatre, Exchange Street, tel: 08448 717627
9 October, Michael Palin; 13 October, Jim Davidson; 14 October, Bay City Rollers starring Les McKeown; 15 October, NT Live – Hamlet, 15 October, The Carpenters Story; 17 October, Ellen Kent’s Tosca; 18 October, UB40; 19-24 October, Thriller Live; 21 October, RSC Live Screening – Henry V; 26-31 October, Priscilla Queen of the Desert Tour
Wycombe Swan Theatre & Town Hall, St Mary Street, tel: 01494 512000
Until 3 October, Dreamboats and Miniskirts; 7 October, Abbamania; 11 October, Carmen; 13-17 October, The Importance of Being Earnest; 16 October, Blofeld & Baxter; 19-24 October, The Smallest Show on Earth; 26 October, The Hollywood Special Effects Show; 27 October, Go West & Nik Kershaw with T’Pau; 28 October, The Drifters; 30 October, Illegal Eagles
Milton Keynes Theatre, Marlborough Gate, tel: 08448 717652
1 October, Milton Jones and the Temple of Daft; 2 October, Frankly Sinatra; 3 October, Paddy McGuinness; 4 October, Motown’s Greatest Hits; 6 October, UB40; 10 October, Sing-a-Long-a-Frozen; 11 October, Milton Keynes City Orchestra; 12-17 October, King Charles III; 20 October, English National Ballet’s Lest We Forget; 22-24 October, English National Ballet’s Romeo & Juliet; 26-31 October, The Glenn Miller Story
The Stables, Stockwell Lane, Wavendon, Milton Keynes, tel: 01908 280800
1 October, Jenny Éclair; 6 October, Wishbone Ash; 10 October, Pasadena Roof Orchestra; 18 October, Judy Collins; 27 October, Keith Ball – Kenny Ball Junior & the Jazzmen; 28 October, Nils Lofgren