Food and drink events in Berkshire and Buckinghamshire - October 2016
PUBLISHED: 14:42 30 September 2016
Pick your treats as we make the most of the harvests and wash down the results with some fine choices
Our choices start with The Eighth Bucklebury Beerfest in West Berkshire, a free entry event running from noon to 6pm on 8 October at the recreation ground in the village, with beer, cider, a barbecue, teas, crafts stalls and live music. There’s even a dog show!
The beers are supplied by The West Berkshire Brewery and the cider comes from Tim Wale’s Tutts Clump business, now celebrating 10 years of producing some very special ciders. This event will also include some selected guest beers.
It’s in aid of The Victory Room in the village hall in Bucklebury Village, coming up to a century in age and in need of some renovation. See www.bucklebury.beer.
Sticking with West Berkshire for now, we move on to the delicious Hungerford Food Festival on Sunday, 2 October, which runs from 10.30am to 4pm, taking place in Hungerford Town Hall and the High Street. Hungerford is always worth a visit so this is a great choice for a day out. You’ll find getting on for 50 stalls offering everything from local produce and street food, and other activities during the day will keep foodie fans entertained.
Mushroom expert Roger Phillips will be talking about fungi, and other experts to look out for include Masterchef semi-finalist Ollie Hunter, Gert Pienaar, Head Chef at Blandy’s Bar & Bistro at Inglewood, Rafia Willmott, who runs Eliane on Hungerford High Street, and Romilla Arber, the author who heads up Honesty Food Group, and also runs a cookery school and The Crown & Garter in Inkpen. Find out more at hungerfordfoodfestival.com.
Heading up into Buckinghamshire, events at Waddesdon are always a treat and October has some fine choices, starting with an Introduction to Rothschild wines on Saturday 8 October (£40). For those seeking a real celebration, the Grand Cru Rothschild Wine Dinner on Friday, 14 October at The Five Arrows is £150 per person or £225 including room package.
On Sunday, 9 October A Taste of the Wild is a great all-day introduction to foraging at Waddesdon, including how to cook what you find. It includes a picnic lunch and concludes with a two course supper featuring roast haunch of venison with wild foraged foods (veggie option available) followed by a dessert themed around Waddesdon’s wild foods, £85. Cheese and Wine tasting sessions (£20) run on the same day with Fine Cheese Company. Call 01296 653226, waddesdon.org.uk.
• 1 Oct, Reading Town Meal, Forbury Gardens, Reading, RG1 3BB, tel: 01189 586692; Vale Harvest Local Food Market, Banks Park, Haddenham Village Hall; Autumn Apple Fair, Lindengate, Worlds End Garden Centre, Wendover, lindengate.org.uk, tel: 01296 622443
• Until 5 October, British Food Fortnight, Bird in Hand Country Pub, Bath Road, Knowl Hill, Reading, tel: 01628 826622
• 8-9 October, Apple Days, Cliveden, tel: 01628 605069
• 13 October, Coffee, Cake and Chocolate, Goring Village Hall, Goring-on-Thames, tel: 01491 872707
• 14 October, Cheddington Food and Drink Fayre, Cheddington Village Hall
• 15-16 October, Apple Days, Hughenden, tel: 01494 755573
• 19 October, A Farmers’ Market, Crockhamwell Road, Woodley Town Centre, tel: 07506 741591
• 19-22 October, Concrete Pint Beer & Cider Festival, The Buszy, Station Square, Elder Gate, Milton Keynes, mkcamra.org.uk
• 22 October, The Whiskey Affair, The Great Hall, London Road, Reading, thewhiskeyaffair.co.uk, tel: 07815 478999
• 28-29 October, Beer & Cider Festival, Wycombe Swan Theatre & Town Hall, tel: 01494 512000
• 28-29 October, Aylesbury Beer Festival, Bucks CC Sports and Social Club, Lower Road, Stoke Mandeville, tel: 01296 744706
• 29 October, Stony Oktoberfest, York House Centre, London Road, Stony Stratford, tel: 07760 298453
• Berkshire & Buckinghamshire Life Food & Drink Awards 2016 - Finalists - It’s almost time for the Berkshire & Buckinghamshire Life Food & Drink Awards 2016 with the ceremony taking place at the Royal Windsor Racecourse on Thursday 20 October. We’re delighted to announce our finalists…