The new town centre development in Bracknell
PUBLISHED: 15:54 19 July 2016 | UPDATED: 15:54 19 July 2016
Bracknell is becoming one of the most modern town centre destinations and a place to live, work, shop, entertain and socialise in Berkshire
So what do you have in your lexicon? We checked the dictionary and yes, a lexicon is the vocabulary of a person, language, or branch of knowledge. Wandering around Bracknell as the remarkable transformation takes place, some might have developed a more colourful vocabulary at times, but also a good measure of awe as demolition sites take new shape, like a jigsaw puzzle suddenly and swiftly starting to make sense.
Lexicon Bracknell is the name of the town centre project where £240 million alone is being invested to create 580,000 sq ft of new retail, restaurants and leisure facilities.
The Lexicon has already attracted top fashion brands such as Fenwick, Topshop, Topman, Marks & Spencer, Next, H&M, River Island and Primark, in addition to an award-winning Waitrose, which opened in 2011. It’s all due to open in spring next year.
The town centre’s evening economy will also be transformed with the arrival of a 12-screen Cineworld and a host of restaurants, such as Nando’s, Wagamama, Gourmet Burger Kitchen and Carluccio’s. Tex-Mex restaurant Chimichanga is the latest to announce its commitment, completing the ground floor lettings on Eagle Lane, the scheme’s main restaurant hub. Planning permission has been granted to restore and extend a Grade II listed former pub in the heart of the town centre.
As well as the demolished areas, the remainder of the town centre regeneration includes the refurbishment of existing shop facades, as well as major public realm improvements, environmental enhancements and significant highway upgrades to the key gateways into the town. Transport improvements are set to transform Bracknell into a more convenient location for commuters, as well as for local employees.
Did you know?
• A total investment of £768 million is being invested in the regeneration of Bracknell Forest Borough. It’s one of the largest urban regeneration schemes currently being built in the UK.
• Bracknell is the first post-war New Town to be comprehensively masterplanned, demolished, rebuilt and re-configured.
• Lexicon Bracknell is being developed by The Bracknell Regeneration Partnership (BRP) - a 50:50 joint venture between Legal & General Capital (LGC) and Schroder UK Real Estate Fund (SREF), and Bracknell Forest Council (BFC).
• For the second year running, Bracknell secured the joint top spot as the best place to live and work in the UK, as part of PwC and Demos Good Growth for Cities Indexes. It has also emerged as one of the best places to buy a home in the UK, according to research by property specialists, Leaders.
• Household income and expenditure in Bracknell currently exceed the UK average by 28% and 21% respectively. This is similar to other affluent locations including Windsor and Maidenhead and Oxford.
• An A to Z of everything Berkshire - Journey with us through Berkshire as take an alphabetical look at the people and places
• Architecture in Buckinghamshire: 18 beautiful builds - We often celebrate the views, people and restaurants of Buckinghamshire, but it’s time to appreciate some of the stunning architecture on show…